Spring cleaning your home
If you’ve been considering a Spring move, then now is the perfect time to start prepping your home for sale, or perhaps it’s simply time for a spring clean? Here are some ideas to get you started.
Bedrooms and Wardrobes:
- Wash and pack away winter bedding; replace with summer bedlinen.
- Wash or replace pillows.
- Move bed and vacuum underneath.
- Turn, rotate, and air mattress.
- Empty drawers. Remove items no longer needed and organise remaining items.
- Sort the contents of your wardrobeinto 'keep', 'donate' and 'bin' piles. Be ruthless!
- Clean empty wardrobe then organise your clothes, placing similar items together.
- Keep the floor clear with colourful baskets/tubs for toys, shoes, sporting equipment etc…
- Use clear hanging shoe storage to organise small items such as hair ties and toys.
- Add a laundry basket if needed.
- Sell, donate, or recycle unused or outgrown toys and clothes.
- Wash kitchen walls and ceiling.
- Clear out the pantry, remove expired foods and organise similar items together.
- Empty and clean fridge, defrost the freezer if needed, discard expired food.
- Tidy drawers and cupboards. Bin broken items and donate unused tableware/small appliances that are in good working order.
- Clean all surfaces including work surfaces and cupboard doors.
- Clean all appliances, including the oven, cooktop, extractor fan, microwave, dishwasher, inside and out.
- Empty bathroom cabinets, removing expired medications and old cosmetics.
- Organise contents by storing similar items together.
- Clean grout and replace broken seals around the shower, bath, or basin.
- Check washers in taps and toilet and replace if needed.
- Add an indoor plant to create a breath of fresh air in what can be a busy space.
- Use baskets, decorative lidded boxes or storage ottomans to contain small items (magazines, throws and so on).
- Review your collection of books, movies, music, and games. Keep only what you use and really treasure.
And don’t forget to:
- Dust blinds, light fittings, ceiling fans, floor/ceiling vents.
- Clean windows inside and out.
- Wash soft furnishings – cushions, curtains, and throws.
- Clean doorknobs, light switches, trims, and picture frames.
- Revarnish floors and have carpets and rugs professionally cleaned.